STARGLOW First Session Results!!!!!

     In short, LOVED IT! I prepped a short quest using the guidelines in the PDF, only took two-ish hours. I made it pretty silly, the players had to go into the Forest of Love and Cuddles to retrieve Mr. Timberwhiskers the cat for Ms. Timberwimbers. It followed a fairly linear progression from Point A---> Points B or C---> Point D (finale) and Point C--->Point E (optional). Throughout they battled huge stuffed Valentines stuffed animals, unicorns, and other generally bright and love themed enemies. They wiped out some cat gangsters (RIP Demarcus the bipedal cat). Then they tracked down Mr. Timberwhiskers, who prefers to go by Dr. Deathatron 9001. They retrieved Dr. Deathatron 9001 and returned him to Mr. Timberwhiskers. But that's enough of my brief overview of the session.

    So, what did I like about Starglow now that I've played it? I still love it, I think basically everything I thought that the game would do well in the review was true. Fast gameplay, lots of room for improv, actually really easy to run, probably even for a new DM. I love how abilities work and the resource management seemed to challenge my players more than I thought even.

    There's only one thing I maybe didn't like. Opponents to the players don't really get enough chances to use their powers. I think this might be because I played with 2 players, less players=less risks=less failures/complications=less chances for enemies to use their powers. I think I might hack the game a little to add an "Opposition Turn" of sorts, but that's still in the very early brainstorming phase. I'll try it again next session with hopefully my third player here. 

    I was just reading over the Major Arcana, and I think that using eminence for more than just Major Arcana would actually help this issue. Disclaimer: I'm just writing down whatever comes to mind, not really thinking about it too much. Maybe certain enemies could have Eminence and be able to spend it to use an ability during the DM's turn. Maybe some enemies could have the ability to grant eminence to other creatures. This would be limited though, because the players should still feel strong (probably a better justification somewhere if I think about it some).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starglow Review

My first post and Capitalization in Titles and anything else I think of